Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Disney's Princess Half Marathon

Little girls learn from Cinderella,that the right pair of shoes, can change your life.

These, are the one's that changed mine.
Just about a year ago, I began to run, for the first time since high school, in order to train for a 5K. Not only am I older than I was then, I also, now have asthma. But Travis really wanted me to run that 5K with him, so I downloaded the Couch to 5K app to my ipod,and day after day, my inhaler and I went for a run.

This past Sunday, I did something I never thought I would be able to do, I ran my first ever Half Marathon. That would be 13.1 miles. And I did it at The Happiest Place on Earth!

On Friday, the 4 of us, drove down to my friend Allison's, who lives in Orlando. On Saturday Morning, we all got up bright and early and headed to Disney World! While Allison, her friend Mary Alice (who also ran) and I went to the race expo, Jay and the boys checked out the pool and other fun stuff at the resort we stayed at (the Caribbean Beach). They had a great time! That night, we went out to eat at Olive Garden for our pre-race dinner (lots of pasta for us ladies).  We played at the arcade for a bit when we got back to the hotel, and then it was bedtime for everyone, as it would be an early morning.

I got up at 3am, got dressed and headed out to catch the bus that would take me to Epcot and the starting line. When I got there, I couldn't believe the number of people who were walking toward the start with me.

I met up with Allison and we headed to our start corrals.

Meanwhile, Jay and the boys got up at 3:30, and took the bus to Epcot also.
Then, the took the Monorail over to the Magic Kingdom, to wait for me to run through Cinderella's castle. I have the sweetest boys ever!!

Meanwhile, the race started for me.
DSCF1127 from Lindsey Souza on Vimeo.
DSCF1129 from Lindsey Souza on Vimeo.

It was 68 degrees and 89% humidity when the race started. I ended up having to use my inhaler twice during the race, because of the humidity, but I didn't have any major issues thankfully.

Here are a few pictures I took along the way. There was lots more stuff to see, but it was a bit of a pain taking the little camera out everytime, so I was selective in my photos. But about every 1/2 mile, there was some sort of entertainment, music, or just something to look at. There were lots of photo opportunities, with princes, princesses, other characters, signs, mile markers, etc. I didn't stop for anything other than a castle photo after the Lightning McQueen picture below, because it took so long to get that one.
Jay and the boys were waiting for me on the other side of the castle. I knew this, as I sent him a text earlier in the race to find out where they were, and what side they would be on (my right or left). Travis was going to be SO upset if I didn't see them, so I knew I had to up my chances as best I could. His information was perfect. I spotted them right away. See me waving in the picture below? My kids were waving SO big!! I could read the GO MOM! on the poster Travis was holding up also. I was so sad to lose sight of them, but it gave me a big boost of energy seeing them.

I ran on, and they took the monorail back to Epcot, to wait to see me near the finish. Look at all those runners!
The dreaded overpass that I would have to run up at Mile 10.

My view from the top of the Mile 10 overpass. There would be one other overpass we would have to run up, at Mile 11 also! But I got such a boost of energy again at Mile 11, knowing it was only 2 miles left!

Almost there!!

I sent Jay another text, at Mile 12, telling him I was at Mile 12, so they could start seriously looking for me. I also saw when I did so, that he had sent me a text, telling me right where they were standing again. Here I am, running up to them at that spot, somewhere after Mile 12. Jay said he was SO happy to see me looking so perky. He was worried I was going to look like death at this point. :)
I quickly smooched the boys and was off for the final little bit of the race. 

I crossed the finish line, in 2:55:10 and met up with Allison,and then Jay and the boys. My legs immediatly began cramping when I stopped running, and I gladly took the Tylenol and Biofreeze they were giving out!

Jay said the boys did great! We went out for a big breakfast after us sweaty ladies got cleaned up, and Riley promptly fell asleep after eating his pancakes. :) We went to Downtown Disney for a bit after that, and then back to Allison's. We drove home on Monday, and we were ALL tired! I was sore and tired, Travis was grumpy and tired, Jay was just tired, and Riley...well, see for yourself.

So I ran my first ever half marathon, and it was SO much fun, even if it was hot, humid and long :). I went into it, seriously undertrained, due to a stress fracture in my heel in December, but just decided to go, have fun and do the best I could do. I'm so glad I did!

After all, where else would I get something that labels me as Princess Lindsey? 

Forget the glass slippers, this princess wears running shoes!


Anonymous said...

Way to go, Lindsey! Glad you all had so much fun. Love, Debbie

Anonymous said...

Yay for Lindsey! She did the "Disney's Princess Half Marathon"! So glad you were all able to make the trip and have lots of fun along with doing the race. Love, Pauline


Related Posts with Thumbnails