So....Riley is going to have surgery. Again. Last Friday, he had an appointment with his surgeon, who 1) was thrilled over his current health and weight/size and 2) was amazed that he's walking. After much discussion with Dr. H, here is the bulleted list of what was discussed and will happen.
- We will go up with Riley on February 8 to Duke. He will have a contrast enema that morning and then other pre-op bloodwork and preparation. He will NOT be admitted that day.
- We will stay in a hotel that night, and take him in, at whatever time they tell us on the 8th, for surgery, on February 9.
- The contrast enema is to rule out any potential blockage in his large intestine that may have caused the leak in September. If there is a blockage, they will fix that on the 9th. If there is no blockage, they will just take down his ostomy on the 9th.
- He will be on clear liquids ONLY all day long on the 8th. I'm exhausted already just imagining how well that is going to go over with him.
- The surgery will be handled the same as last time, and the expectations of what will happen afterward remain the same as last time also. It is an exact repeat of the surgery on Sept 2.
- That they will not be able to get an IV in him again, and he will require another central line, which is an infection risk.
- That there will be a blockage, and they will have to remove more intestine. Less is not better.
- That the free end of his large intestine (that is floating around in his belly) is somewhat not in great shape, and that dye will leak into his belly during the contrast enema. The surgeon feels its unlikely, but it's a possibility.
- That he will develop another leak afterwards. If this were to happen, we will be forced to decide whether to try a drain ( and risk infection and him becoming VERY sick - but potentially healing fine) or put his ostomy back AGAIN. If that were the case, they will not try to take down his ostomy for a year to 18 months from now. If this happens, then that means at this point, they can determine that there is something "wrong" with Riley's healing abilities.