Monday, February 9, 2009

tax time

We are typically the people who wait till near the last minute to do our taxes. I don't' know why, we never plan it that way, but we are. But this year, the refund money is needed much sooner than later, and so the daunting task of getting together receipts and such to do our taxes is upon us. Upon me actually, I decided I was going to be the one to tackle it. I was in the mood to go through the mountain of receipts tonight, since Jay and travis would be at cub scouts for a while and Riley was napping. I was expecting a headache since we basically have this big basket FULL of receipts from our whole ordeal last year, gas receipts, food receipts, hotel bills, parking garage receipts, etc. I was expecting a big pain in the butt. But I wasn't expecting the flood of memories that came with almost every.single.receipt. It's amazing how I can see a food receipt from Oct 7th and remember VIVIDLY that exact day. And that exact meal. Remember the exact words I told my mom and dad when I called to update them during dinner break that evening. The gas bill on October 4th, when we were preparing to drive to Duke for the first time. Bills from when I was up there alone, etc. It's all making me a little bit sick to be honest, but someone's got to do it right?

Thankfully, THIS is the view I have while doing all this, only an arms length away:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your sweet heart, Lindsey. As you are reminded of all the bad memories, at the same time, try to think of all the good memories you are building on now. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Love and Blessings, Pauline

*super dude and super dog* said...

I've been doing this at work when it's slow at night and it's such a daunting task. You are right--every parking reciept, every cafeteria reciept...it all rushes back.

We're going to be in J'ville a lot for Carter's therapy. We'd love to meet up with you guys at some point.

Anonymous said...

It's so sad you have to be reminded of all the tough times you went through, just to get taxes done.I can only imagine how emotional some of the dated receipts effect you. Thank goodness you have that precious baby boy sitting right next to you, smiling. God love you Riley, you can brighten up just about any situation....even tax time!
Hugs, Dale

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, it must be hard to think about all the not so happy memories as you're going through tax information. Just remember, that sweet smile that you can see right in front of you and the little boy you can pick up and love, love, love!!! Thinking of you, Debbie and Gary

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails